Wednesday, April 14, 2010

New To Coupons Series Post #1


Hello Everyone! For the next few days I will be posting a series on Couponing for those of you who may be new to couponing or are just looking for a few helpful hints. I have been couponing for about two years now. I am by no means an expert but I have learned quite a bit over the years.

Where Do My Coupons Come From?

1. The first place to look is in your Sunday newspaper. Almost every Sunday you will find coupons in your paper. Look for the following inserts:
• Smart Source (known around blogs as SS)
• Red Plum (RP)
• Proctor & Gamble (P&G)

Now if you don’t subscribe to the Sunday news I would suggest doing so if you can afford it. My husband and I have a Special with Times Union for Thursday and Sunday delivery. It ends up being about $1.25 a week that’s a savings of .75 cents off the Sunday “cover price.”

As a rule of thumb you should buy one Sunday paper (for the inserts) for each member of your family. In my house I get one delivered to me on Sunday, I scope it out and if I feel it’s a “good week” I will snag another.

2. The Internet. There are a lot of internet coupons out there! The best places to look are
Coupons.com
Red plum
Smart Source

Another great way to get internet printables is to go to your favorite products website and see what is available.

3. Send a nice letter to the maker of your favorite product asking for coupons. I have been quite successful with this method. I head to their website and use the contact form. Hey, the worst thing they can do is say no.
4. Ask friends and family to save their inserts for you! Or post a request on your local CraigsList or FreeCycle.

Look for tomorrows post on how to organize all the coupons you have been collecting!

No comments: